Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2008:
[gopher] Re: Gophermaps and Moles

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gophermaps and Moles
From: "Steven Krise" <beowulf6561@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 22:16:54 -0400

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > As I was setting up my gopher server [gopher://anglo-hexon.net] I put up
> > this wikipedia page on gophermaps:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gophermap
> > (mainly to sort out some things in my own head).  I'd appreciate any
> > corrections or comments.  The content comes mainly from the bucktooth
> > documentation and a couple old Usenet posts I found on Google.
>
> This is correct, but also look at gopherglobbing, which is supported by
> Bucktooth 0.2. See
>
>        gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/buck/dbrowse?faquse%201a
>
> > I'd also appreciate any pointers to more information on authoring moles.
> > want to experiment some more with this concept but am having trouble
> finding
> > anything specific enough thru google or veronica-2.  Thanks.
>
> If you were recently searching, there was some database problem I was
> trying to fix which should be rectified (just slower while a table
> rebuilds).
>
> In any case, all a mole does is spit out RFC-1436 compliant lines to the
> client (Bucktooth just exec's right into it), so you can have it send
> whatever
> you want. Bucktooth gives it some extra environment variables documented
> here:
>
>        gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/buck/dbrowse?faquse%202

Must the mole be written in Perl?  If I drop a perl file in a directory, do
chmod +x on it and then navigate to it, bucktooth executes it.  If I do the
same with a bash script, it never executes the file (nor throws an error).
dbrowse will run in the folder, a two-line test perl script will run but I
can't get my bash script to run.  Any pointers will be appreciated.

I'm running bucktooth 0.2 with inetd in the Cygwin environment.