Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: December 2007:
[gopher] Re: Final dot required on server request?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gopher] Re: Final dot required on server request?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 07:23:32 -0600

On Sunday 23 December 2007 05:50:56 pm Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> To this end, I've deliberately taken a compromise view in Bucktooth where
> "text" data has the final "." but binary data (or what Bucktooth perceives
> is binary) does not, for those clients that simply suck all data and
> assume that's the file.

I believe that PyGopherd does the same thing, and in fact that it does so
because a reading of the source code of UMN gopherd indicated that's how
*it* behaves.

Note too that gopher+, which PyGopherd supports at least part of, alters this
because it is possible to send file size information with it.

-- John