Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: December 2007:
[gopher] Re: Final dot required on server request?

To: <gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gopher] Re: Final dot required on server request?
From: "Trevor" <greendragon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 19:20:37 -0500

that's really odd. nearly every gopher server i've connected to stays with
the RFC, which indicates the terminating dot is required.

however, gopher is a connectionless protocol. you connect, the server sends
and disconnects. so i suppose technically, you don't need the ending period,
you just need to read the socket until the connection closes.

trevor