Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: December 2004:
[gopher] Re: Feelings I got gophering around

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Feelings I got gophering around
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:18:15 -0800 (PST)

>    On a second thought, I remember I mostly got the "Gopher
> is dead" feeling browsing through the list of known "active"
> servers around the world: the number of those servers that
> did not respond or that were serving eight to ten years old
> data was more than disappointing to me.  So, I do think
> now that having removed many of those forgotten servers
> from the Internet is a good thing to Gopher itself: would
> anyone take a look at what it's avaible from Gopher servers
> now, he would find fewer servers, all right, but he would
> find mostly servers that are beeing actively maintained and
> that might be even inspiring things to browse through.

Myself, I'm just constantly trying to improve Veronica-2's relevance within
the search set it has. This means dumping duff selectors, although I don't
want to be too aggressive about this as it takes a while for the crawler to
rediscover places that just have recurrent downtime and get winnowed
inadvertently. However, these servers were habitually dead, so out they come.
It took a little while to rip out the duffs and dupes, but I think the result
is worth it. More nice data is chugging into Veronica-2 as we speak.

I have one more Gopher feature to release, hopefully by the end of this year.
A couple enhancements I wrote into my local Bucktooth will also be released
in a pr6 in a little bit, along with some updates to the documentation and
support files (nothing critical, but nice).

>    "Pauci sed boni!"  (a few but good [men]!)

Exactly. :)

 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- "I ... I love you!" "Oh noo! I don't!" -- Awful movie, "Ranma 1/2" ---------