Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: December 2001:
[gopher] [Paul Lindner <lindner@xxxxxxxxx>] Re: overriding portions of t

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] [Paul Lindner <lindner@xxxxxxxxx>] Re: overriding portions of the http protocol?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Dec 2001 09:37:27 -0500

FYI... Paul is working on a Gopher module for Apache!  (Woohoo!)

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:23:46 -0800
From: Paul Lindner <lindner@xxxxxxxxx>
To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: lindner@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: overriding portions of the http protocol?

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 01:53:24PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Paul,
>
> A friend of mine forwarded me your post to apache dev list:
>
> > I'm playing with Apache 2.0's multiprotocol features.  I'm
> > starting by porting the old U of MN gopher server code to work
> > as a module.  I'm using the ap_hook_process_connection()
> > function to call my own routines.
>
> I would encourage you to start from a new codebase.  UMN gopherd has a
> lot of problems, not the least of which are security ones.  I don't
> know a lot about the Apache API, but if you could use Apache's MIME
> magic to determine file types, that would bring you a *long* way to
> replacing the weakest part of gopherd -- figuring out what to serve
> files as.  You'd probably have to do some simple munging to generate
> gopher0 filetype characters.

It looks like it won't be too hard to use Apache as a generic protocol
engine.  We should be able to use much of the Apache code base to make
a very nice server.  For example we can eliminate all the logging and
much of the authentication code right off the bat..

> You might check out the latest codebase from CVS.  A few of us are
> working on it (very) periodically.  See
> gopher://gopher.quux.org/00/devel/gopher/AnonCVS.txt for details.

Hmm, I get

CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: recv() from server pi.complete.org: Connection reset by
peer

If you need help hosting this thing let me know.  I am running my own
cvs service on my 1.1Mbps business-grade DSL link..  (along with other
services..)