Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2006:
[Freeciv] Re: RFE: terrain improvement: canal

To: Fishpark <fishpark77@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: RFE: terrain improvement: canal
From: Nevin Hotson <nevin.hotson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:22:04 -0500

Fishpark wrote
>>>Now if freeciv maps always had a height map, this
>>>

>>would be
>>

>>>interesting, but this way it will just end up with
>>>

>>complete continents
>>

>>>being converted to rivers, which begs the question
>>>

>>"Where does all the
>>

>>>water come from"?
>>>

>>you can end up with all mountains converted to
>>plains too -
>>so where does all the ground go?
>>canal digging should not be too cheap - it should be
>>more expensive than
>>mining but cheaper than terraforming.
>>

>Perhaps only the extending of rivers should be
>allowed? This would not really be a 'canal' feature,
>though.
>
>I still think you should be able to dig a river
>anywhere, and the operation would have to be
>sufficiently expensive not to disrupt gameplay and to
>give the iplayer the mpression of immense technical
>difficulties being solved by the Engineers.
>
>I suppose that Worker units have limited power when it
>comes to digging rivers? Perhaps they should be only
>be allowed to dig rivers on plains, or to extend
>rivers?
>
>The 'where does the water come from' question is
>indeed as irrelevant as the before-mentioned 'where do
>mountains go after being levelled?' or 'why can a
>stealth bomber stay in the air for 10 years and yet
>not fly from England to Denmark in that time?' :-)

Given that in the early game, irrigating one tile takes 50+ years, then
10 turns (10+ years) should be more than enough for a large group of
engineers to drill a hole in a mountain.

--
.. And the Lord spake, saying, "First, removeth the pin from thy Holy
Hand Grenade of Antioch. Second, count unto three, three being the number

Nevin Hotson

They are coming for you...

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: nevin.hotson.vcf