Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: September 2005:
[Freeciv] Re: Game manuals

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Game manuals
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 01:56:45 +0200

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:26:27AM +0200, Guido Ostkamp wrote:

> - The German version of the manual seems outdated, written for 1.13.0 and
>   not in Wiki format. Is nobody working on this anymore?

The English version is outdated, too. You can try to transfer the 1.13
version to the wiki and then update it to 2.0, but there are several problems to
face:

1. updates are necessary from version to version, but they are hard to
maintain in other languages then English. Even there, because numerous fixes
make the texts harder to read.

2. there are different rulesets

3. there are different tilesets

4. There is overlapping with in-game help

In the long term, I suggest to improve the in-game help, with longer (and
better) texts, and better visual presentation. These texts should be broken
up in small topics/paragraphs, which makes it possible to maintain the
translation
from version to version. So this is a portion ot work that translators could
handle.

Eventually, generate printable manuals from there.

Christian