Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: Dirigible

To: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Marco Tarini <tarini@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Dirigible
From: kilobug@xxxxxxxxxxx (Gaël Le Mignot)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:16:06 +0200

Hello Per!

Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:28:12 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:

 > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Marco Tarini wrote:
 >> 1) Dirigible = better explorer.

 > Better explorer is nice.

I agree with that

 >> Can be attacked by ground units, probably (to balance game if not for
 >> realism).

 > This is really bad. It requires new code to support it, and adds
 > additional strange exceptions to already strange aircraft rules.

What about  handling it like  an helicopter ?  It'ld add the  "need to
refill helium/hydrogen" problem too, which is not that bad.

 > And I agree completely that this is a problem, because a flying dirigible
 > would enable the "bomber over mech inf" cheat much earlier in the game,
 > when you more likely do not have _any_ way to counteract it.

 >> They do not scare huts, quite the opposite: they land peacefully nearby and
 >> are usually greeted as divine ;) (it is a better explorer, remember? it
 >> actually get bonuses at huts).

 > New special rules = Bad.

IIRC in the  "fantasy" modpack, angels fly, can  be attacked by ground
units, and can collect bonus in huts, but I'll have to check.

--
Gael Le Mignot "Kilobug" - kilobug@xxxxxxxxx - http://kilobug.free.fr
GSM         : 06.71.47.18.22 (in France)   ICQ UIN   : 7299959

Member of HurdFr: http://hurdfr.org - The GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org