Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: Dirigible

To: Marco Tarini <tarini@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Dirigible
From: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:28:12 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Marco Tarini wrote:
> 1) Dirigible = better explorer.

Better explorer is nice.

> Make explorers appear earlier

This is also nice.

> Can be attacked by ground units, probably (to balance game if not for
> realism).

This is really bad. It requires new code to support it, and adds
additional strange exceptions to already strange aircraft rules.

And I agree completely that this is a problem, because a flying dirigible
would enable the "bomber over mech inf" cheat much earlier in the game,
when you more likely do not have _any_ way to counteract it.

> They do not scare huts, quite the opposite: they land peacefully nearby and
> are usually greeted as divine ;) (it is a better explorer, remember? it
> actually get bonuses at huts).

New special rules = Bad.

IIRC, we still do not have a dirigible graphics for trident and
isotrident. So that makes this discussion largely academic.

  - Per