Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 2003:
[Freeciv] Sneak Endyear on Pubserver.

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Sneak Endyear on Pubserver.
From: Bill Landis <blandis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:37:35 -0500 (EST)

Greetings!

I'm fairly new to freeciv, but couldn't find much written about this, so
apologies if it is covered in a FAQ somewhere.

I was playing a game on the Pubserver this morning.  One player got out to
a fairly significant lead.  I was in 2nd and trying to organize the
remaining players into an alliance against the leader.  I declared war and
took 2 cities in 150 BC.  He set the timeout to 0 that year (it had been
at a couple a  minutes or so).  I thought that was reasonable since he had
to adapt to a fairly major war with his largest and I think closest
neighbor.  There was no discussion.  The rest of that year had a bit of
fighting and we all ended turn ("Turn Done") normally.  After everyone
else (or at least myself) ended turn on 125 BC he (the leader) checked the
score, and with  no discussion set the end year for that year and ended
turn, thus ending the game with him still in first place.

Is there any generally accepted method for preventing and/or dealing with
this when it happens?  Should I "report" the user and domain anywhere in
particular?

Thanks.