Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: feature request againts pubserver cheats

To: Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: feature request againts pubserver cheats
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:41:53 +0200

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 01:16:40AM +0200, Horn G?bor wrote:
> Hi!

[...]
> ends, which would restart if an other player changes the endyear. It's
[...]
Look at PR#3504

[...]
gangbanging
[...]

my answer in PR#4468 was that it could be a good idea to "add" the power
from teammates or allied players to a summarized power. And then you
wouldn't lose that many points when you got gangbanged.

> This whole thing w/ usage of fake nicks, endy cheats makes the ranking
> system almost worthless imho. This unfortunatlely makes some people
> cheat and ruin others game for some stupid points. Now if a good player
> reaches top10/20 he usually stops playing or start a new nick as i see,
> particular because the problems of the ranking system. And because now
> the system 'rewards' this behaviour, they continues.

With the auth-system and after than games which would be only played
between players with a decent nick that problem wohnonly theneranking ht

> I hope u understand i don't have problem againts the ranking system
> itself (in fact i find it's mathematical idea very elegant, and surely
> would be glad to see a nice and cheat-proof implementation of the
> mathematical model), or the fact now i've lost some points and became a
> 'worse' player. I have problem w/ the fact that a a good and balanced
> game (which was REAL fun for some people) got ruined because of some
> stupid points (which are neither real nor reflects much thing now as it
> became a first prioirty to many players to find and exploit its
> weakness).
>
> So in short, i'd like to ask u:
>
> a, do the devs care about this? Or is it just me and a few other players
> who feels sad to see where pubserver's 'morale' is going to?
>
> b, is there a chance to implement that countdown (or any other solution)
> to stop endy cheats?

Yes

> c, is there a chance for implement client authorization on pubservers
> sometime to stop the multi-nick cheats?

Auth is implemented in the cvs-version. But i don't know how it works.

> d, is there a need for feedback/suggestion for rethink the ranking
> system to reflect the fact of alliances/gangs? (so if 8 player kills a
> good one in a gangbang the 'winner one' wouldn't get even more points
> for this than if he'd do it in a duel...which would be MUCH harder and
> worth of reward than a stupid gang)

Most of it isn't a problem of the game. The ranking skript is external.
But i think it would be helpful to store most of the diplomatic
relationships in the gamelog.

> I think these would be a great help to get the players again play for
> fun not because of the points.

This changes would help that players would play more for points than for
fun ...

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.