Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: play by email version

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: play by email version
From: John Allman <allmanj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:09:18 +0000

Raimar Falke wrote:

>>2. Extend client functionality & change game rules so that the server
>>and client don't need to communicate at all *during* a turn.  This is
>>assuming one email per turn will be sent.
>>

>>#1 should be pretty easy; the dataio code just needs to be extended.
>>Basically, we still do have a continuous stream of data - it's being
>>sent in e-mail rather than through TCP.
>>

>>#2 would be much harder.  To begin with, nobody can make moves during
>>the turn - we'd need something like the proposed goto-at-end-of-turn
>>system where everyone enters goto moves and the server processes them
>>all at the end of the turn.
>>
>>But this is just the beginning.  Currently almost every player action
>>involves the client sending a packet to the server and receiving another
>>packet in return.  Here the return packet needs to be cut out.  In most
>>cases this just means the client needs to know more about the game
>>logic.
>>

>>My question is, what is the point?  The only advantage I can see to
>>play-by-email is that a direct connection to the server is not
>>required.  But the implementation would have many spin-off benefits from
>>reduced lag effects.
>>

>As you point out it will change the game a lot (both gameplay and also
>the code). IMHO will this create another game.
>
>       Raimar

This is exactly what i'd like to avoid if at all possible:( If a pbem
module couldn't be integrated into the game then it would be nice if a
pbem version could build on top of the code in such a manner that after
each freeciv release the pbem version could be rebuilt without
alteration and keep the new features. Something like the way phoenix
builds on top of mozilla? (excuse my ignorance if i am mistaken, but
that is the way i understand phoenix to work).

Thanks

John