Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2003:
[Freeciv] world as a globe

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] world as a globe
From: Christoph Petschnig <cpet0101@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 04:39:05 -0800 (PST)

Hello!

I don't know, if this has ever been discussed, but is it (by
reasonably means) possible to make a freeciv-version, that is not a
cylinder but a globe?

When airoplanes fly between (western) europe and the u.s., they go
over scotland for the shortest distance, altough it looks like a
detour an a normal world map.

Wouldn't it be cool to have bombers fly over the poles to attack
targets unreachable in a cylindric world? I also think the freeciv
poles are just to big for a realistic world.

It might be necessary to replace the squares by circles, but maybe
there are also other solutions.

My questions: does anybody else like this idea? Would this mean to
change 90% or only 10% of the code? (I do know that 10% is still
rather huge than small).

Regards Christoph