Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: rfc: autoattack

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: rfc: autoattack
From: John Wheeler <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 05:27:01 -0800 (PST)

--- Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:54:17AM -0900, Britton
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Thomas Strub wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 06:39:16PM +0000, Per I.
> Mathisen wrote:
> > >
> > > And perhaps it should be configurablei.
> > >
> > > a = chance to win
> > > b = value of attacking unit
> > > c = value of attacked unit
> > >
> > > And if d = a*c/b bigger than a tuned value ->
> autoattack.
> >
> > There's also the question of initiative.  In a
> situation where a high
> > attack/low defense unit moves in next to another
> such unit, it doesn't
> > seem to me that the moving unit should always be
> the one to get attacked.
> > In other words, you should be able to set your
> moving units to attempt to
> > try to autoattack as well, and who gets to attack
> who should be determined
> > in some reasonable way (lots of possibilities: who
> has more movement or
> > which unit could move into neighbors square for
> least cost, if
> > one unit can see further than other, etc.).
>
> No random please. I would say goto works -> unit
> which is moving will
> attack. Otherwise the defending unit has the chance
> to attack.

Personally, I like the idea of a DND-style initiative
roll, where all those factors mentioned above (plus
whether the defending unit is goto or fortified --
less initiative -- or sentry or patrol -- more
initiative) modify the chance of attacking first.

Kind of like I've said before, what makes freeciv so
much better than Sid Meier's Civilization(s) is that
freeciv is so configurable.  Rather than arbitrarily
deciding the "right" make, make an "autoattack" server
option with the following values:

0: no autoattack allowed
1: defender always has initiative
2: attacker always has initiative
3: weighted random initiative
4: 50/50 chance

I also like the idea of tuning the individual
thresholds for autoattack.  This would help against my
favorite strategy when attacking a technologically
backward but heavily defended city: by putting one
riflemen each in a few high-defense squares
(mountains, hills, forest etc.) around a city, I've
been able to take out about a dozen autoattacking
phalances in a single turn, leaving easy pickings for
my cavalry.

++JohnWheeler