Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: treaties and embassies (PR#2274)

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: treaties and embassies (PR#2274)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:25:54 -0500

I third GB's seconding of Davide's layout.

Separation of concerns helps keep things simple. If you need contact
to treaty, then emabssy is only one mode of contact. If you need
embassy to ally, then a contact treaty will not permit alliances.

Davide has outlined a reasonable set of criteria for each action.
Just code it so the controls on each action check its criteria, and
deal cleanly with a failed criteria (as in greying out an option)
rather than throwing the favorite failure code of assert.

There may be minor nits like timeouts on a contact. I suggest it
require you to be in a zone of control to initialize, and not be a
capability you inherit for a specified time. But this is just a
refinement of the gating control spec for the action.

Cheers,
RossW
=====