Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: proposal for change of subs in default ruleset

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: proposal for change of subs in default ruleset
From: Fredrik Tengblad <tengfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 01:05:47 +0100 (MET)

On 12 Nov 2002, Per I. Mathisen (per@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I propose the following changes to submarines. Speak up now if you think
> this is a bad idea.
>
>   - Per
>
>  [unit_submarine]
> -tech_req      = "Combustion"
> +tech_req      = "Steel"
> -build_cost    = 60
> +build_cost    = 50
> -attack        = 10
> +attack        = 15
> -move_rate     = 3
> +move_rate     = 5
> -uk_shield     = 1
> +uk_shield     = 0

IMO this will make the sub very much overpowered. Any one of these changes
would have been good on their own, but taken together they are too much.
The upkeep change seems rather pointless (as the limiting factor is
usually uk_happy), but it doesn't fit well with the rest of the game.
If tech_req is changed to steel, the attack, cost and move should be the
same. I suggest
>  [unit_submarine]
> -tech_req      = "Combustion"
> +tech_req      = "Combustion" or "Refining" (Don't know which is best)
> -build_cost    = 60
> +build_cost    = 60
> -attack        = 10
> +attack        = 12