Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: proposal for change of subs in default r

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: proposal for change of subs in default ruleset
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:33:27 +0000 (GMT)

On 14 Nov 2002, Davide Pagnin wrote:
> >[unit_submarine]
> >name          = _("Submarine")
> >move_type     = "Sea"
> > -tech_req    = "Combustion"
> > +tech_req    = "Steel"
>
> Sorry... Can you explain the rationale of this tech change, it is
> necessary for game balance?

This makes the sub come at the same time as the cruiser. I think this
makes sense. Currently it arrives very late in the game, almost at the
same time as Battleships, which is (even with the suggested changes) a
much superior unit (better in combat, can defend transports, can attack
land).

> > -move_rate   = 3
> > +move_rate   = 5
>
> I'll suggest to let them have 6 move point.
> (this high movement and the capacity to partially hide, should
> make them more difficult to catch)

That will make them as fast as destroyers! AFAIK the only reason to build
destroyers after discovering cruisers is that destroyers are better at
hunt-and-kill because of their superior movement. If we make subs as fast,
then destroyers will be useless.

> > -uk_shield   = 1
> > +uk_shield   = 0
>
> I strongly oppose to this, submarine are aggressive military units!

Yes, point taken. I will leave this out.

  - Per