Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2002:
[Freeciv] copyrights

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freepg2@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] copyrights
From: A A <freepg2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 17:41:13 -0700 (PDT)

Well I hate to do this but I need to ask.

I went throught the mailing list archives and read a
huge discussion about copyrights that took place a
year and a half ago or so.  I would like to ask if the
developers of Freeciv took any action when it comes to
copyrights.

The reason I am asking is that I have created a game
that is similar to a commercial game and I am ready to
GPL the source and throw it up on SourceForge.

Of course I don't want to end up in jail the next time
I am in the States (I'm from Canada.)

Has there been any news about Freeciv and copyrights?
What about freecnc or freerails?  It seems that most
of this development takes place in Europe (If I'm
wrong please correct me.)  Does being in Europe offer
some protection?

I read recently that Blizzard is going after the guys
who wrote bnetd.  Are we going to see more of this
sort of thing?

P.S.

My game is similar to Panzer General. (Groan! Not
another one!) If anyone wants more info just let me
know.

Thanks,
Rob