Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: New Freeciv Installation problems

To: Ghaleed Nortje <Ghaleed.Nortje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: New Freeciv Installation problems
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 08:05:29 +0000

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Ghaleed.Nortje@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If this is not a Newbie group, then sorry.
>
> I had or have still Freeciv 1.11* on my KDE workstation
> (RH7.1). After not being able to connect to servers with v1.12*, I
> downloaded the correct (1.12*) version fro freeciv.org.
>
> I did the install as set out in the Install file and tried to
> connect to the servers (Meta). To my surprise I saw that the client
> is still v.1.11* and obviously could not connect.
>
> Other than not having uninstalled the older version, ('cause I don't
> know how to do that) what would you say could be wrong with my
> install?

If you do "make install" after compiling Freeciv, that _should_
overwrite the existing Freeciv installation.  If your old installation
was by RPM, that probably won't work; you will have to remove the old
installation using RPM.

What does civserver --version say?  Are you completely sure you
downloaded the right versions?

Lastly, you can run civserver and civclient from the directory where
you compiled them without having to do "make install".  Just type
"./ser" to start the server, and "./civ" to start the client (without
the quotes, off course).

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
BELA LUGOSI is my co-pilot..