Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Some questions

To: johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Some questions
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:09:54 -0500

johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have decided I would like to help out with this project. Not that I there is anything I know I could do, being an unexperienced c-programmer and not having that much spare time, but nevertheless.

Glad to have you on board, Johannes. I am sure there are a lot of things you can do to help the project. :-)

Actually, I think I would like to work with AI, even though I should probably start with something easier. But putting my shortcommings aside, I would like to make an AI that could analyze the ruleset to some extent, and that be used for some clientside micromanagement (the computer AI player should handle its cities good enough for the human players to use it for citymanagement etc.). Hence the AI should only use whatever the client sees (no cheating!), and I need to program it very 'modularized'. When I get the time to do so, I will go through the AI that already exists and come up with something more concrete.

That would be great. AI is probably the least understood part of the code since the original author of most of the AI code disappeared sometime ago. It's very important to have more people who knows the AI and can work to improve it further.

Also, being an old CivI and CivII player (civ1 changed the way I looked upon computer games, I still remember when my cousin first bought his copy of it, I think we spent almost all Easter playing one game, and finally conquered the world, only then realizing we made a score of about 15%), I might be able to say something sensible in discussions from time to time.

I think Freeciv still has a lot to learn from the original Civ1/2. Having old Civ players like you will certainly be a big plus for the project.

[......]

2. How fast do you 'smallpox' players reach the end of the tech tree (assuming you try to reach the end of it)?

I tried to do a test to see how fast it could be done, but it only proves that I suck at ICS (OK, I peobably suck anyways, but that's something else). In any case, I know people who claim that they can research everything by 1000AD. Although I knew the pace of tech advance is pretty fast in Freeciv, I never thought that would be possible until I realized how they could get so far ahead so fast. In most cases though, you would never see the end of the tech tree because the game would have been long over.

I have noticed much talk about this smallpox strategy it these forums, and having a somewhat different strategy (I realize the importance of many cities, but I usually develop them too, hence am more careful about their placement), I would like to compare. Of course, I should do this by playing some games, but I am in no position to do that at the moment.

I guess I am the one who is making all the noise about smallpox right now and some people probebly think I am making too much of a fuss over it. I have to admit that I hate it with a passion and never used it myself because I find it extremely ugly, both figuratively and literally. (Of course, the fact that I don't know how to use it has absolutely nothing to do with it. ;-)

I don't know whether you have played any multiplayer games in Civ2, but it is certainly quite different from playing against the AI. Game balance is much more important in multiplayer because the dominance of one particular stretagy will almost certainly ruin the game for many people.

BTW, are you saying that you are too busy to play? I hope you can find time soon. See you at civserver.freeciv.org.

Mike