Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: globalwarming

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: globalwarming
From: Damian Walker <damian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 12:51:37 +0100 (GMT)

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Reinier Post wrote:

> This is a matter of dispute.  I think global warming can be used as a
> 'scorched earth' tactic.

I always found that global warming ruined the game for me completely.
Not that I did badly (I won one of my earliest games), but I found that I
couldn't rely on the land at all.  I stopped building inland cities
altogether, and headed for Miniturisation technology so that I could get
production from sea squares: basically I had to abandon the land
altogether, apart from as a place to plant my cities.

My solution to this problem, after playing all my games with a maritime
emphasis, was to comment out the bit of code that triggers the global
warming :-)  Now I know that I can take advantage of inland resources
without the inland cities being decimated by famine halfway through the
game.

If I had the time I would implement it as a proper option that can be
turned on and off.  I don't know if anybody else would be interested in
having that as an option, though.

--
Damian