Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: globalwarming

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: globalwarming
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 16:11:16 +0200

>       Another if-you-don't-like-it-code-it-yourself response.  Is this
> really necessary?  Its assumed by everyone that if a person talks
> about an idea in a newsgroup without mentioning code specifics, its
> very likely he/she can't code it, or they wouldn't have even brought
> the issue up in the first place, they just would go out and do it.

I was just trying to make the point that it's been considered long ago,
and nobody did it before, therefore it isn't likely to be picked up
by somebody else.  I don't know how you see an implied insult but I
will refrain from answering if it makes you or anybody else happy.

BTW my point was invalidated by the other reply, which stated that
the AI behaves better in 1.11.4.

>       All you needed to say was "its very hard to implement, and no one has
> taken up that challenge yet".

It's not necessarily hard to implement, but the AI code is hard to read.

> Besides, it's in the AI's interest to clear pollution on it's land
> just as much as a human player.  The AI will be hurt by global
> warming, and it's nearby city, crippled by the nuke, will need the
> full production from unpolluted land to rebuild.  It has nothing to do
> with "table manners".

This is a matter of dispute.  I think global warming can be used as a
'scorched earth' tactic.

--
Reinier