Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: workinglist for units

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: workinglist for units
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:58:13 +0200

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 03:28:08PM +0200, Henning Ehlermann wrote:

> If you need groundunits instead of ships, let city1 to city9 produce
> and send them to city10, where they got order to sentry and you produce
> transports there (with orders to move to ...).
>
> You can think of extensions from this. For example, let units have orders
> for other units - in the above example just sentry a sail at (a,b) and
> let it tell to each ironclad to move to (c,d).

The more general approach, it seems to me, is to let this be controlled
by 'unit managers', objects that control a set of units and maybe even
obtain new ones from cities.  Thue's ferryboat patch already contains
an implementation for a specific task (it makes goto work across oceans).

This has been discussed on freeciv-dev before.

--
Reinier Post