Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] I'm not a troll?

To: "freeciv" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] I'm not a troll?
From: "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 12:29:21 -0700

> Brandon is not a troll.  A Troll is someone who knows himself to be
> wrong, and is stirring up trouble.  Brandon believes himself to be
> right, and would appear to be well-intentioned, although I believe him
> to be wrong.

Ergo why I defined myself as a troll.  I got tired of arguing with
people the meta-point of whether or not I genuinely believe what I say.
Intellectual integrity often goes unrecognized in newsgroup forums, it's
more conveneint to label someone you don't like a troll.  So I
sidestepped the whole problem.  Can't win a "smoking gun" debating point
on something that is claimed up front!  The only thing disingenuous that
I ever say is that I am in fact a troll.  :-)

Here's how I see it:

1) seems like you guys are winning regarding the non-copyrightability of
rules.  I'm learning something here.

2) seems like you guys are losing regarding manually transcribing the
tech tree.  It's tangible.  You ripped it off wholesale in the name of
"compatibility."

3) in certain countries, I think you guys are toast on the software
licensing issue.  Any of you developers that have or had software
licenses for the various Civ games are liable.

4) Regardless of all of this, I have *no doubt whatsoever* that Hasbro
would steamroller you guys if you came up on their radar.  They'd
steamroller you even if they didn't have any case at all, and you've
certainly provided them enough circumstantial ammunition to make it
stick in a court of law.

Cheers,             Infernal Troublemaker                    Troll
Mallor              "By simple mistake, mortals themselves amuse."