Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: software license violation

To: freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: software license violation
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:27:28 -0500

Jules Bean wrote:

> I didn't even used to be on this list, but I just noticed this bizarre
> flamewar on the archives

Yeah, it's the only flamewar we've had in the whole time I've been
subscribed.

C'mon, guys.  Everything worth saying on the topic by a non-expert has now
been said several times over, so unless you happen to be an IP lawyer, let it
drop.  There's no use in having a lot of non-experts argue over the merits of
a case that may never arise.  If such a case does arise, we can contact the
EFF then and talk it over with an expert.

If you want to make a pre-emptive strike, you could go ahead and contact the
EFF now, and ask for an expert opinion on the degree of exposure.

Better than that, someone should start working on a modpack to serve as the
new standard game, and excise all Civ-specific rules from it.  (By luck, all
the necessary infrastructure is now in place.)  That way if anyone ever does
complain about rule clones, it will take about 10 minutes to delete the Civ1
and CivII modpacks, rebuild the distribution kit, and send a message to this
list and various other forums asking everyone to download the offense-free
version of the game.

Meanwhile, there is nothing constructive to be gained by flogging a topic
where nothing new has been said since the first few exchanges of messages.

>Brandon is not a troll.  A Troll is someone who knows himself to be wrong,
and is stirring up trouble.

Didn't read his .sig very carefully, did you?  A person who is earnest but
overzealous deserves to be ignored after he has had his initial say.  If that
person also claims to be both a troll and a troublemaker in his .sig, he
deserves being spanked.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas