Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Freeciv

To: francis conry <defconry@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Freeciv
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:39:19 +0200

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, francis conry wrote:
> Hello,
> My name is francis, I'm kinda new to linux so my problem is most likely
> something obvious but here it goes.
> I just want to play against the computer and when I type 'civclient &'
> I do get a window but it seems to want me to connect and I cannot get
> freeciv to think it's connected. I just some error like connection invalid
> or something and that's where it stops.
> Thank you guys so much for making this it such a good idea!
> Thanks,
> Francis

Unlike payciv freeciv is split across a server and a client. The server
handles the game, and the client os the human interface. So to play you
need both.

go to a terminal window and start a civserver
>civserver
add some ai's on the server prompt that comes up
>set aifill 7
(maybe type "explain" or "help" for a list of all option)
connect the client and type
>start
in the server and you are go! :)

-Thue