Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: An idea about diplomacy

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: An idea about diplomacy
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 06:34:49 EST

From: ½²«íµØ <iquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:33:11 -0500 (EST)

It may seems normal to us with yet another option or new rule,
but that might not be the case for new players. How many rules
now does one has to learn in order to master freeciv?
While I agree that the current rules are very imbalanced, attempt
to fix this should not be done at the expense of rule simplicity.
Not to mention additional difficulties in code maintenance.

I second that. We need new ideas, for sure, but any significant rule change has to be closely examined and thoroughly tested to see if it would actually improve gameplay. And simplicity is always highly desirable, for obvious reasons.

Forgive me if I have appeared to be opposed to any new rules (I guess it's just me getting old, and it's easier to be a critic than an innovator). Freeciv do need new, original ideas, but it's important to realize that not all of the proposed new features would change the game for the better.

As been mentioned earlier, the debate over what new rules and features should be added will probably intensify greatly once version 2.0 is reached. That's not a bad thing in itself, and new ideas are always welcome, but we do need a way to sort them out and keep only the ones that would actually work.

Mike