Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Advanced barbarians / neutral cities

To: Masheikh <Masheikh@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Advanced barbarians / neutral cities
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 21:21:03 +0100

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 07:41:20PM +0100, Masheikh wrote:
> >- automatically give them settlers from time to time
> >- make BIG chance that city in disorder convert to barbarian
> >- give barbarian special government
> >- give barbarians techs depending on world's techs
> >- set happiness level for the whole empire :
> >  happiness = (happy_pop - 2*unhappy_pop - cities) / pop * gov_modifier
> >- make units w/o upkeep automaticaly convert to barbarians
> >- make change for cities to change to barbarians depending on :
> >  distance_to_your_capital / happiness
> >- make BIG chance that city that it revolting because of diplomat doesn't
> >convert
>
> barbarians should not become an equal nation, barbarians didn't use to have
> cities
> thats why they are barbarians. they plundered the land as long as they could
> and moved to
> conquere the next after that. the hunns as well as the mongols where
> NOMADIC wartribes on horses, not with legions ;-)

`Barbarians' I was talking about is sth like `neutrals' in MoM.
Remember that some people do live on terrains outside of major empires.
They have sometimes cities, wariors, production etc.

> >- disallow disbanding, you may still free unit, but it will convert to
> >  barbarian
> >- make BIG chance that unit damaged after battle convert to barbarians
> >- make chance for units to change to barbarians depending on :
> >  ( distance_to_your_capital + distance_to_your_nearest_city ) / happiness
>
> yes - as well as barbarias represent anarchy in all forms maybe this could
> also include the uprising of units. remember the history of cartago who had
> to fight their own army after the first war against rom, because they wanted
> to disband them.

In my proposal barbarians should represent more independent tribes that
hordes that want only to destroy everything.