Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: A question about... FreeCiv - of course :-)

To: Mariusz Lesniczuk <ma_les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: A question about... FreeCiv - of course :-)
From: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 02:11:50 +0100 (MET)

> I use RedHat 6.1.
> I have a file freeciv-1.8.1.tgz.
> While working with Midnight Commander I coppied everything from
> this file to my "\" directory (with the same directories structure).

Eh probably not "\" ... but maybe "/", "~root" or "~"? :)

> I started civclient. And here is the problem. I always receive a notice:
> "usr/local/bin .\civclient: can't load library 'libintl.so.1'"
> What is wrong? I don't have this file (libintl.so.1) on my HDD. Where
> should I get it from?
> Can you help me somehow?

Get the latest version of freeciv from http://www.freeciv.org/ -
either the .rpm for redhat, or the source (.tar.gz)  If you choose the
source, it should be quite easy to build it so it works at your system -
just write something like:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make all
make install

(eventually replace "/usr/local" with "~")

...and a working civserver and civclient should magically be putted in
/usr/local/bin (eventually ~/bin).

If you still experience problem due to missing libraries, try to add
"--disable-nls" after ./configure

You might want to test if the Polish translation works out
well, if I've understood it right, it should be possible to write
something like

export LANG=pl

before starting freeciv, and all the text should be displayed in Polish.

--
Tobias Brox (alias TobiX) - sysguy - +4722925871 - http://www.funcom.com/
If an _urgent_ email is not acted upon within 10 minutes, you might try