Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 1999:
Re: [freeciv] Modpacks?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [freeciv] Modpacks?
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 01:40:24 -0600

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
>
> >     I notice that the
> > "rules" files have been broken out of the source code as separate
> > configuration files, so I was thinking about making an Ancients
> > "modpack", to cover the period from the neolithic to the end of the
> > pre-gunpowder period.
>
> Sounds cool, though I should warn you that you will probably
> find that the current system is not as flexible or capable
> as you might like.  Of course improvents to freeciv to make
> the ruleset system more flexible and capable are welcome!

One of the things I didn't like about Civ2 is that there were too many
things *not* under your control when designing a modpack or scenario.
In principle, this is not a problem with FreeCiv, though I don't know
how far you guys want to let the design drift from Civ2.  So I thought I
would try my hand at it and report any problems I find, so maybe we can
discuss what kind of changes would be desirable and what kind wouldn't.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas