Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] Call to Power for Linux

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Call to Power for Linux
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:24:24 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Matt Busigin wrote:
> Hmm - I'll have to look at this tonight.  Commerical people don't get
> it.  Don't try to shadow open-source products!  Adobe is smart, and
> won't port PhotoShop because it knows there is no market - everybody
> uses GIMP!

Call to Power is rather unlike Civilization 2, and rather unlike Freeciv.
However, there are some very interesting features there...

It seems to have a rather nice GUI interface (unlike Xaw hehe), but
the units and cities seem to be huge blobs of graphics... pretty, but
inappropriate.

CTP does not have engineers; roads/irrigation is bought for "points"
(and this is supposed to be a feature).

You can also build cities underwater (or in space), as well as building
chunnels. Do we now have an excuse to implement this in freeciv? :)

The AI resides in a separate dynamically loadable .dll file, and it is
be possible for others to write new AIs.

They implement "active defense", which exactly the same that we call
"auto-attack". Units set to be in "active defense" mode have to be
fortified first.

> My advice to Microprose:  Bend over.

Call To Power is written by Activision. There will be another Civilization
release from Microprose soon called "Civilization Multiplayer" (I am not
sure if this is the release title or just a working title). There is also
the civalike Alpha Centauri by the Grand Master himself, Sid Meier.

Yours,
Per