Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] A few Suggestions...

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] A few Suggestions...
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:06:30 +0100

> after playing a huge freeciv-session I discovered a few things that in my
> opinion should be added to freeciv:))

Feel free to do so!

> - there should be a fast possibility to activate a certain unit which is
> currently in a city without having to popup the citydialog

You can awaken all sentried units with shift-click, but this doesn't wake
up any other units.  It's pretty easy to make a second version of that
command that wakes up everything.  Does this suit your needs, or do you
want the get a unit list?

> I would prefer the middle or right mouse button which pops up a unit list
> similar to the one when activating a unit which is on a ship.
> This would be very useful both when you have to defend your island against an
> invasion or planning one

I don't think that would be too hard to add, either.

> - if you are playing with timeout it makes me very angry when a nuclear or
> something like that runs out of fuel just because of the timeout which is not
> properly implemented. So it often happens that there are up to 5 seconds left
> and the new turn starts. I suggest a syncronisation between civserver and
> clients should be done in the last 15 seconds....
>
> - there should be a possibility to choose the unit which you want to move
> first
> in the next turn. Just because of situations like discovering a aubmarine with
> your last moving point...

Good idea.  This could be another command, '1' (for 'first to move)?

> - a few suggestions to units:
> ->Units only having one move point like the catapult or canon are quite
> useless. I think it would be realistic when those units can fire two squares
> if
> it is no forest,hill or something like that between attacker and defender...

That would deviate from the original game.  It will be easy to do this
once David's Pfitzner's rulesets patch is added; it allows you to define
your own unit characteristics.

> ->Why are the elephants removed??? There's no unit with which you can
> make a real attack in the beginning of the game.

The original Freeciv authors thought they were too powerful.
Once again, the rulesets patch will take care of this, I believe.

> ->the artillery is completely useless, because it don't ignore the effect of
> the citywalls - and I think ithis is not quite logic

Howitzers ignore city walls.  Develop Robotics.

--
Reinier Post                                             rp@xxxxxxxxxx