Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: April 2002:
[FreeCiv-Java] Re: Contribution on Java-freeciv

To: "Leprince Olivier" <leprinco@xxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: Contribution on Java-freeciv
From: "Ben Hutchison" <ben.hutchison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:01:44 +0100

Olivier,

I think the way arrow (move) keys are handled in the submitted patch may
cause some flexibility/extensiblity problems in the future.

It seemed that a move packet was constructed and dispatched to the server
from inside the key event handler. This would probably need to be changed
if/when other ways of moving are added (eg mouse click or scripting), if any
centralized logging/diagnostics were added, or if the user wished to remap
keys->actions.

I think a public move() API that sent the move packet would limit these
problems. Then all client code that wished to move pieces can do so in a
uniform manner.

Regards
Ben