Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-i18n: November 2004:
[freeciv-i18n] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] jdorje: Convert files from ISO-8859-1,

To: keld@xxxxxxxx
Cc: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-i18n] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] jdorje: Convert files from ISO-8859-1, ISO-
From: "Duarte Loreto" <happyguy_pt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:56:56 +0000

Hello, Keld

Either you missed the point or I didn't understand what you are saying...

Chris needs to translate po files in UTF-8. His system is not UTF-8 enabled.
So, he needs to convert UTF-8 files to ISO-8859-1 for translation update and
then reconvert them to UTF-8 to store in CVS. This is easyer than updating
his system to be fully UTF-8 compliant.

If a project decides that all translations should be done in UTF-8, as it
seems to be the trend, I don't see why having people with "old configured"
machines should stall the progress of using a better encoding. And for a
packaging prespective, it's easyer (and faster) to create build scripts that
take as granted all po files will use the same enconding (UTF-8) than using
iconv over each translated file.

Anyway, maybe I'm talking about a completly diferent thing from what you are
talking just because I didn't understand you :)

All be happy!

Duarte "HappyGuy" Loreto

"Don't worry, be happy!"