Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-i18n: November 2004:
[freeciv-i18n] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] jdorje: Convert files from ISO-8859-1,

To: Duarte Loreto <happyguy_pt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-i18n] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] jdorje: Convert files from ISO-8859-1, ISO-
From: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:20:55 +0100

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 02:23:24PM +0000, Duarte Loreto wrote:
> Hello!
>
> This may not be of much help but... When I was translating po files for the
> GNOME 2.0 release, I had to do them in UTF-8. What I did was to convert
> UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1, translate or update and then reconvert to UTF-8. It
> worked quite well. I used these scripts
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-i18n/UTF-8/
> It required you to have an env flag set up.
> export ENCODING_TO=ISO-8859-1

It defeats the very role of cvs to store documents in a different format
 from the source, that is the preferred format the the maintainer of the
file has for doing modifications to the file. So please do not force
translators to use utf-8, if they prefer standardized character encoding
like iso-8859-1.

best regards
keld