Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#17941) Engineers ordered to connect road don't exe

To: peter.vd.meer@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#17941) Engineers ordered to connect road don't execute optimal movement
From: "Jason Dorje Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:13:59 -0700

Randy Kramer wrote:

> On Monday 21 August 2006 11:30 am, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
>>
>> Peter van der Meer wrote:
>>>
>>> On a map-fragment like:
>>>  1 2 3
>>>  4 5 6
>>>  7 8 9
>>>
>>> Where
>>>  1 = ocean
>>>  2 = swamp
>>>  3 = plain + river + road (+ Engineer)
>>>  4 = grassland
>>>  5 = forrest + river (Silk)
>>>  6 = forrest + river
>>>  7 = Hill
>>>  8 = Hill
>>>  9 = Hill
>>>
>>> If the engineer on tile 3 gets the order to connect 3 to 7 (Connect ->
>>> Road), then it deceides to go to 5 directly to build road instead of
>>> moving to 5 over 6. This makes building the road slowed down by 1
>>> turn.
>> That's not a bug.  The shortest path is always chosen when building a road.
>
> I (and the original poster, I'm sure) would argue that it is.

Oh, I see what you are saying now.  I misunderstood the problem.

Well, obviously there is no complex goto involved here.  The engineer
just moves spot to spot to get where he is going.  Setting up more
complicated orders would be, well, complicated.  But if anyone is
interested in looking into this (client/goto.c) I encourage you to do so.

-jason