Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: The space race

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: The space race
From: Andreas Røsdal <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:17:46 +0200

Jason Dorje Short wrote:
In my experience, the few times spaceships are used the game is already decided,
because it's always the strongest player launching a spaceship.
So something could be done to introduce space race earlier in the game,
possibly by reducing the number of technology requirements for it.
First of all, space race should be made a more viable way to win the game.

I am reminded of a comment Per made about Command & Conquer once. In that game, there are certain "super-weapons" which a leading faction may use to hasten the end of the game and avoid micromanagement. These weapons are all very expensive and may be thwarted by the opposing factions, but at risk.

Yes, currently building a spaceship is only a way to hasten the end of a game that the leading player had already in reality won. I would have liked the space race to be an alternative strategy for winning the game, as an alternative to military victory.

To make the space race more exciting, more could be done for players to have competing spaceships at the same time. Perhaps once the Apollo program has been built, all players can have a more even competition for building a spaceship. Such as giving all players access to researching spaceflight, plastics and superconductors once the Apollo program has
been built. Or make it easier for spies to steal the space technologies.

That is interesting, but I don't think it would do much to liven up the game. Even with such an advantage to the opposition, the space-faring race would still have a huge advantage. The opponent would still have to physically research the needed technologies, and physically build the infrastructure (including factories) needed to pump out the expensive space parts.

The question, I think, is how to make super-weapons speed up the end of the game by providing an element of risk to the nation that employs them. Currently the only risk provided by spaceships is that of the resources needed to build them, that are potentially wasted if the opponent conquers your capital.

My initial idea would be to provide concrete disadvantages to building the wonders that are needed to initiate these super-weapons. Providing automatic shared vision to all enemy factions, or automatically building a gameloss unit for the constructing nation, would be possibilities.

Adding more risks to the super-weapons is probably a good thing to liven up the game, and I think both of the disadvantages you suggested would do that. However, making the space race more risky would also make it less used, which goes against the idea of making the space race used by more players.
So I think something would have to be done to counter balance those risks.

Would it be possible to easily find out how many games are won by space race on the pubservers? Then I could base this on something other than only my own experiences, where extremely few games have involved the space race.

Andreas R.