Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: The space race

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: The space race
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 23:29:44 -0400

Andreas Røsdal wrote:
Hi everyone

Are there any plans on improving the space race part of the game?
It seems to have been unchanged for a very long time, and this strategy doesn't seem to be used at all in the games I've played so far. Here are some suggestions.

There have been no such suggestions recently.

First of all, space race should be made a more viable way to win the game.
In my experience, the few times spaceships are used the game is already decided,
because it's always the strongest player launching a spaceship.
So something could be done to introduce space race earlier in the game,
possibly by reducing the number of technology requirements for it.

I am reminded of a comment Per made about Command & Conquer once. In that game, there are certain "super-weapons" which a leading faction may use to hasten the end of the game and avoid micromanagement. These weapons are all very expensive and may be thwarted by the opposing factions, but at risk.

Such a concept could be applied to Freeciv as well, and the space race is no doubt intended to function in this manner. The problem is, as you point out, it does not add much excitement. It does provide incentive for the opposing nations to conquer the space-faring nation's capital, thus ending the race - but even if they do so, this does not generally allow them to win the game. And nation capitals are rarely vulnerable to attack of any means.

Nukes are another such super-weapon. They are similarly imbalanced in that they provide little risk. Once you have nukes, you win.

In both cases however, there is the hurdle of the wonder needed before either space parts or nukes can be produced. This is really the only hurdle to overcome, yet it provides no element of risk - only a delay before the super-weapon can be put into action. A nation with sufficient technological and industrial advantage (including factories, which are required for space parts IIRC) will have little difficulty pumping out the needed wonders.

I would consider game balance issues of both these super-weapons to be intertwined.

To make the space race more exciting, more could be done for players to have competing spaceships at the same time. Perhaps once the Apollo program has been built, all players can have a more even competition for building a spaceship. Such as giving all players access to researching spaceflight, plastics and superconductors once the Apollo program has
been built. Or make it easier for spies to steal the space technologies.

That is interesting, but I don't think it would do much to liven up the game. Even with such an advantage to the opposition, the space-faring race would still have a huge advantage. The opponent would still have to physically research the needed technologies, and physically build the infrastructure (including factories) needed to pump out the expensive space parts.

The question, I think, is how to make super-weapons speed up the end of the game by providing an element of risk to the nation that employs them. Currently the only risk provided by spaceships is that of the resources needed to build them, that are potentially wasted if the opponent conquers your capital.

My initial idea would be to provide concrete disadvantages to building the wonders that are needed to initiate these super-weapons. Providing automatic shared vision to all enemy factions, or automatically building a gameloss unit for the constructing nation, would be possibilities.

There is also some usability issues with the space race dialog. First of all, the spaceship dialog should give all information needed to build a spaceship, guiding the user to building and launching the spaceship. Make it more intuitive to build the actual spaceship, and provide more (and better/more graphical) information about the progress during construction of the spaceship, and the progress after launching the spaceship until it arrives. Perhaps the spaceship could also be shown somewhere on the main map near the capital during construction. It would also be nice with some 3d rendered graphics of something looking like a spaceship. This is a screenshot of the current dialog: http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Image:Spaceship.png

Usability and graphics and gameplay issues are really all different. Usability issues are basically a client/GUI problem; what's needed there is for one person to sit down and just make a patch that improves the interface. Graphics issues are probably something to bring up with the art people; however, I don't know how the hard-coded "spaceship layout" would relate to (for instance) having rendered 3d spaceship graphics.

I hope this can be a start for improving the space race in Freeciv...

Hopefully so.

-jason