Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: I'm a beginner and I'd like to know how to start a pro

To: percy tiglao <prtiglao@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: I'm a beginner and I'd like to know how to start a project up
From: Michael Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:26:29 -0600

see http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/In_The_Beginning
(do not contact the great danes please).

without the slightest idea as to you background or programming skills (or
the project in mind), I'd say start with the smallest (usuable) incarnation
of your project that you still think can be extensible without a total
rewrite and go from there (also reuse code if you can, it'll get you
places much faster in the end).

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 04:28:18PM -0500, percy tiglao wrote:
> Hello. My name is Percival Ross Tiglao and I'm wondering how you start
> up a project like Freeciv. Did you start the project small and
> incrementally work your way up? Did you have a large amount of
> framework? What was the prototyping process if you had one?
>
> If you are really busy, I understand. In that case, do you know any
> good books on this kind of subject? I'm trying to start up my own
> project right now, and I just don't know when the design is ready, or
> if I should just jump in with a vauge idea of my project.

From only a semi-informed opinion, the more thinking (and putting that
thinking down on paper) the faster your code will go together later. If you
have a specification, it's easier to write to the specification. It saves
rewrites.

-mike