Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9197) Suggestion: tweaking the tech Tree

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9197) Suggestion: tweaking the tech Tree
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:56:09 -0800

> [per - Thu Nov 17 20:42:29 2005]:
>
> I suggest you try the latest svn version first to see if not Monarchy is
> already become interesting enough in its own right. The tech cost change
> (in 2.0) made Monarchy easier and Republic harder to get to, and the +50%
> production bonus with Palace that Monarchy gets should make it quite good
> for some strategies.
>
> I am not opposed to making Republic even harder, but I do not want to risk
> making Monarchy automatically the best choice, which would be just as bad,
> since more real choice is what we should aim for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Republic is still far superior
due to the trade bonus.  This change only makes Monarchy more useful
before Republic arrives.  There's no danger of it becoming the best choice.

> > > 5. Mass Production requires Machine Tools instead of the Corporation
> > > (redundant).
> > > 6. Recycling requires Sanitation instead of Democracy (redundant).
> > > 7. Plastics requires Recycling insteadof Refining (redundant).
> > > 8. Laser requires Robotics instead of Mass Production (redundant).
>
> I am not sure I understand these changes and this means. Wouldn't this
> mean the tech tree gets even more entangled than it already is? I would
> rather see the tech tree become less dependencies than more, so that you
> can run out on a deep branch of the tech tree and entirely avoid some
> other branches.

Well, I was just trying to get rid of the redundant dependencies.  If
there are plans to overhaul the techtree, I would be glad to hear it.

> > > 9. Stealth requires Advanced Flight instead of Robotics.It seems
> > > strange that you can build stealth aircraft without ever knowing
> > > Flight.
>
> I'm all for this one.

I've seen other suggestions, but this seems to be the easiest fix.

Mike Jing