Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9197) Suggestion: tweaking the tech Tree

To: miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9197) Suggestion: tweaking the tech Tree
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:42:30 -0800

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Mike Jing wrote:
> > 1. The Republic requires Trade and Philosophy, as suggested by
> > hirisov. This delays the Republic quite a bit and makes Monarchy a lot
> > more attractive as a first government (other than the default
> > Despotism).

I suggest you try the latest svn version first to see if not Monarchy is
already become interesting enough in its own right. The tech cost change
(in 2.0) made Monarchy easier and Republic harder to get to, and the +50%
production bonus with Palace that Monarchy gets should make it quite good
for some strategies.

I am not opposed to making Republic even harder, but I do not want to risk
making Monarchy automatically the best choice, which would be just as bad,
since more real choice is what we should aim for.

> > 5. Mass Production requires Machine Tools instead of the Corporation
> > (redundant).
> > 6. Recycling requires Sanitation instead of Democracy (redundant).
> > 7. Plastics requires Recycling insteadof Refining (redundant).
> > 8. Laser requires Robotics instead of Mass Production (redundant).

I am not sure I understand these changes and this means. Wouldn't this
mean the tech tree gets even more entangled than it already is? I would
rather see the tech tree become less dependencies than more, so that you
can run out on a deep branch of the tech tree and entirely avoid some
other branches.

> > 9. Stealth requires Advanced Flight instead of Robotics.It seems
> > strange that you can build stealth aircraft without ever knowing
> > Flight.

I'm all for this one.

  - Per