Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Question about client coding

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Question about client coding
From: Jérôme Plût <Jerome.Plut@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:17:27 +0100

This must be a FAQ about client coding: if I try to write a patch that
implies some (very minor) client code modification in client/gui-*, am
I supposed to try to write/test it for each available GUI? For
instance, I can write a bit of GTK, but don't know anything about the
other GUIs, and will never be able to test the gui-win (my laptop is
materially unable to run Windows). Or should I hope that someone will
port the changes to each GUI?

Another, very related, question: I noticed that some of the
gui-specific functions don't call common functions (such as those in
client/text.c about the unit popup tooltips) whenever possible, but
rather reimplement the very same thing by themselves. In my view this
is not a very bright idea, since it only makes the job of the coders
more difficult; but since I'm new to the freeciv code I suppose there
must be a good reason to keep it this way?

And a third one: since those must be FAQ, maybe they should be in the
Wiki?