Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14300) Bug with space race?

To: nico.palau@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14300) Bug with space race?
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 02:49:30 -0700

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 02:33:57AM -0700, Mateusz Stefek wrote:

> > As for reading, you are right, it will increase proportionally (which is
> > not necessarily a bad thing). For *Writing*, it will make things much
> > easier. Not only can you avoid such mistakes as above, and it will
> > guarantee correct help across rulesets, but work with new and modified
> > rulesets too, and makes life of translators much easier as well. I can't
> > stress this point too much.
> >

> As polish translator I have to say that translating texts like "%s
> allows %s (with %s and %s)" is real pain. Quality of such translation
> is really low in highly inflected languages. So I disagree that
> automating helptext makes life of translators easier.

Here is the case of unit flags. There are no '%s's:

* May be disbanded in a city to recover 50% of the production cost.
* May fortify, granting a 50% defensive bonus.
* May pillage to destroy infrastructure from tiles.
* May become veteran through training or combat.

Or for the reported bug (example):

* May only be built if a factory is present in the city.

There are more complex texts which are worth thinking about automating them.
I agree that this can be more difficult to work for translators. Maybe we
find a solution.

Christian