Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14300) Bug with space race?

To: nico.palau@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14300) Bug with space race?
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:21:11 -0700

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 04:14:42PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> Christian Knoke wrote:
>
> > Maybe the requirements with type != tech should be displayed in the help in
> > the same way, as the flags are displayed for units?
>
> Yes.  See PR#13530.  Unfortunately automated helptext is very tricky and
> I haven't completed it yet.  I'm also not sure of its benefit as opposed
> to hand-written helptext, since the automated text will increase
> proportionally to the complexity of the effects while a hand-written
> form might be able to summarize much more simply.  However no ruleset
> has yet been so complicated as to hit this breakpoint.

As for reading, you are right, it will increase proportionally (which is not
necessarily a bad thing). For *Writing*, it will make things much easier.
Not only can you avoid such mistakes as above, and it will guarantee correct
help across rulesets, but work with new and modified rulesets too, and makes
life of translators much easier as well. I can't stress this point too much.

And what is better - a slightly longer help text or a buggy one?

Christian