Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Discussion: German leader titles

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Discussion: German leader titles
From: Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:55:25 +0200

On 2005-10-12, at 12.19, Christian Knoke wrote:

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 08:30:23PM +0200, Daniel Markstedt wrote:
While creating an experimental Nazi nation, I picked a bunch of
German-language leader titles. Now the project is scrapped, but I
though maybe some of the titles could be recycled and used in the
German nation. Share your thoughts on this!

Hi Daniel,

1. freeciv.de at freelists org exists (preferred, requires subscription)

...is in German. I don't know German very well. ;-)

2. freeciv-data at freeciv org exists.

Are you sure? I can't seem to subscribe to it...

"Failed to deliver to 'freeciv-data-request@xxxxxxxxxxx'
SMTP module(domain freeciv.org) reports:
 host freeciv-smtp-01.complete.org says:
 550 unknown user"

ruler_titles = { "government",     "male_title",       "female_title"
                 "Despotism",      _("Fuhrer"),          _("Fuhrer")
                 "Monarchy",       _("Kaiser"),          _("Kaiser")
                 "Republic",       _("Reichskanzler"),   _("Reichskanzler")
                 "Communism",      _("Genosse"),         _("Genosse")
                 "Democracy",      _("Bundeskanzler"),   _("Bundeskanzler")
                 "Anarchy",        _("Reichsmarschall"), _("Reichsmarschall")
               }

IMHO the ruler titles need to be in english, otherwise it is impossible for
translators of other languages to localize this.

Anyway, I forward your mail to freeciv.de.

Christian

My idea was that they don't necessarily have to be localized at all. At least "Kaiser" is quite well known in English. This is already quite common in, say for example Japanese nation (Shogun) and Polish nation (Pierwszy Sekretarz etc.)

Daniel