Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13941) No plane route length

To: bmorris3@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13941) No plane route length
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:48:56 -0700

> [bmorris3@xxxxxxxxxx - Sat Sep 10 23:40:59 2005]:
>
> When you use the [G]o move option with a plane, you don't get a line
> like you do with ground units, telling you how far the distance is.
> Knowing this is even more critical for planes because if you are off in
> the distance calculation, the plane is going to die.
>
> So maybe  a bug, maybe a feature request, I'm not sure which.

Well, it's not a bug.  The goto is specifically chosen so that the plane
will never die in route.  In 2.0 it recalculates the path each turn in
the server so there's no way to show a path but you can rely on the
plane getting there.  In the development version (for 2.1) we calculate
the path directly: this means a goto path (line) IS shown.  But it has
disadvantages too.  Because it's not recalculated each turn it's less
safe: we can't rely on carriers to stay in the same place, so we can't
use them (I think airbases are used), and if you lose a city the goto
will continue on its merry way straight through the city.

-jason