Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13544) win32/gtk2: ctrl-right-mouse == right-mouse

To: sds@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13544) win32/gtk2: ctrl-right-mouse == right-mouse
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:10:04 -0700

Nathan Brazil wrote:

> Does this help?

Slightly.

The main problem is ctrl- and shift- are already taken up as click
modifiers that give different behavior.  So we shouldn't use those to
simulate a different button.  Another problem is various systems may
already make use of one of the modifier buttons.  For instance X11
window managers usually overload alt- and it sounds like mac native
overloads ctrl-click.

However it sounds like mac has two additional buttons, command- and
option-.  In GTK the modifiers aren't named; they're just MODIFIER1,
MODIFIER2, MODIFIER3, etc.  MODIFIER1 is usually alt and this is what we
use to simulate middle-click.  On macintosh I guess MODIFIER2 also
exists.  The modifier buttons go up pretty high; I don't know how
they're configured on different systems.

 From what you say it seems we don't have to worry about simulating
3-buttons on mac X11, since X does this for us.  We do have to worry
about it for mac native, except that GTK doesn't run in mac native yet
(but this is only a matter of time).

So I guess this means the best choice is just to use
MODIFIER2-left-click to simulate right-click.

-jason