Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13497) City dialog as tab

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13497) City dialog as tab
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:16:59 -0700

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Attached is a mock-up of a city dialog in a single tab (eliminiating yet
> another popup).
>
> Stuff to think about:
> * Someone who is not artisticaly challenged like me should rearrange the
> various stuff and draw some buttons and icons.
> * Issue: Requires 1024x768 currently
> * Outputs displayed as graphics instead of numbers (allowing us to
> abstract the exact mechanism behind them), each output having an icon for
> each of the following states: Surplus, upkeep, waste and negative net
> output.

I think the numeric labels of this should be at a fixed position. Maybe
centered.

There is not enough semantic separation between the built buildings list
on the left and the worklist on the right. That got my head scratching for
a while. :-)

You pick stuff to add to the worklist using the "add to production queue"
dropdown right? But where is the current production?

The info column takes way too much space and should be a popup.

I would put citizens on top of outputs.

> * Click on city name to rename

Sounds good.

> * Click on question mark near citizens to show happiness breakdown
> (happiness tag in current city dialog)

Sounds good.

> * Could make governor preset box into a dropdown box

Better.

> * Disband city option will not be needed after PR#12961, if it goes in.
> * The auto-attack options are no longer useful in cvs head, since that
> auto-attack code is gone.
> * Yep, I forgot pollution... also the 'present units' button is not there.

> I never used it, why is it there in the first place?

Mostly legacy. The only thing it does which you cannot do from the city
dialog is the "ready all" command IIRC.

PS: I actually made a patch which made a 2D graphic foodbox once, but I
never added it to the client because it used too much space.

---