Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13290) The Great Multiplication

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13290) The Great Multiplication
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 03:49:17 -0700

I and Jason discussed various corruption-related issues on IRC, and noted
how incredibly much of the game that relies upon the rounding rules
applied to city outputs. Many changes that could be done to the game will
quite simply disappear in the rounding, or, conversely, get an effect that
can only be way too large.

The solution to this is simple, though. We just multiply all outputs by a
certain factor, say 10. So instead of a whale giving you 2/1/2, it gives
20/10/20. Then we increase all costs by the same factor.

This would allows us to use/change the increase-tile-output effects and
government rules without screwing up game balance completely.

The only downside I see to this is that x10 numbers are a bit verbose. So
perhaps a factor of 4 is better, giving 8/4/8 for the whale for instance,
while still giving us plenty of room.

What say you all?

  - Per