Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13252) Research and teams

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13252) Research and teams
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:10:35 -0700

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Mateusz Stefek wrote:
> > I think Jason's idea of moving research into teams instead of being a
> > property of players is a good idea. This solves problem #2.
> But tech trees are handled by nations in rulesets.

Where?

> How should two different trees from two nations be merged into single
> shared research structure?

Nations would no longer have tech trees - teams would. If you want someone
to have a separate tech tree, assign them to a named team with that tree.
In the techs ruleset, you would name the team instead of the nation.

Another option is to reconsider whether team research was a good idea in
the first place. In Starcraft (yes, I know I bring this up often) players
simply cannot trade techs. For a team vs team game, this might work just
as well, and may be much simpler and less annoying both for players and
for coders.

  - Per